From February 2022 to date, a total of: 308,369 new records and 34,935,800 new images have been uploaded to the Ancestor Portal. Added 19 unpublished State Archives – the number of active Institutes on the Portal increased from 65 to 84 – and increased the records and digital objects for 12 of the Institutes already searchable online on the previous Portal.
With today’s release, the activity of publishing deeds and related names resumes, which, as with the registers, will continue progressively in the coming months.
The first upload involves the State Archives of Lecce and involved the uploading-for the Italian Civil Status fund-of 70,775 birth records (with chronological details: 1899-1918).
Users are reminded that it is possible both on the Homepage and from the page with the search results, to filter the registers and be able to view only and directly those to which deeds (and thus names) are attached, by selecting “Registers with records.”
Users are notified of:
- consult and read the information on the different pages of the Portal (Instructions for Use, Requests for Certificates, Join the Project) in the Contact form and FAQs, in order to be able to find answers to some frequently asked questions and useful clarifications (e.g. What can I do if in Searching the Records I verify that a page of a record or an entire record is missing? How can I obtain a certified copy of the documentation published on the Portal? etc.);
- use the Form available on the Tell Your Story page only to share their family stories and see them posted in Read Family Stories;
- use the appropriate Contact Form only to report anomalies, deficiencies and/or typos found in the indexing of records, deeds, registry and/or locations and not for any other type of instances and requests.
Users are asked not to send emails to:
- asking for searches on both civil status and military records. The Portal does not carry out genealogical and/or registry searches on behalf of users, nor does it provide help with this type of research, but it does make available the documentation to carry out searches independently. Also, please note that in the “Tools” section you can find supporting information to conduct research;
- ask for contact details of State Archives or other bodies (municipalities, dioceses, etc.);
- c- request the issue and sending of certificates and/or copies of matriculation sheets. Please note that the Ancestors Portal does not provide this service. The “Requests for Certificates” page provides guidance and insights useful in obtaining the above documentation;
- ask about the planning and timing of the publication of the Archives or of specific Municipalities/Provinces. The planning is shared with FamilySearch and the State Archives on the basis of technical and scientific parameters. To be informed about the Latest published records and names and read all their details (consistency, chronological details, number of images), users are invited to consult the dedicated sections of the Portal: “Latest published records” and “The indexes of published names.”
- ask how to contribute and communicate any problems encountered with the Family Search site. To date, you can contribute to the indexing of records by participating in projects on the Family Search Italian Projects page. For any problems on registration and indexing activities please contact Family Search directly;
- ask how to download images. It will be possible, in the future, to register and access a user area of the Portal where you will be able to download images. The availability of the user area and all instructions for accessing and using it, will be indicated on the Portal.
All communications (e.g., availability and release of the user area, new publications, system updates and possible problems in fruition etc.) will be described and reported – as usual – in the News section of the Portal.
Thank you for your cooperation